Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The TRUE definition of DIET

Some back and forth between friends on a Facebook group had me asking this question- what is the REAL meaning behind the word DIET?

When you hear the word DIET, what do you think of. People eating less to loose weight, the Atkins Diet, the South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers Diet... I'm sure at least one of those pops into your mind. I used to think the same way.

Now, the conversation I was having was about using supplements and weight loss products in your diet. Some people think that to diet is to replace every meal with a weight loss shake and tons of pills. That is SO WRONG!!!

From TheFreeDictionary.com:

Diet.

  • Noun: 1. The usual food and drink of a person or animal.  2. A regulated selection of foods, as for medical reasons or cosmetic weight loss.  3. Something used, enjoyed, or provided regularly.
  • Adjective:  1. Of or relating to a food regimen designed to promote weight loss in a person or animal. 2.a. Having fewer calories.  b. sweetened with a non-caloric sugar substitute.  3. Designed to reduce or suppress the appetite.

The medical definition is: a specific allowance or selection of food, especially designed to control weight or in disorders in which certain foods are contradicted.

The word also comes from the Greek word "diaita" meaning "a way of live, mode of living"

Well, that is very interesting!! 

I now associate the word DIET with a lifestyle change. Changing my eating habits to reflect a healthier me.  And here is a great visual that helps anyone who is struggling to eat healthy:
Or you can even think about this:

The worst visual is yet to come... Have you ever actually seen what 5lbs of fat looks like? How about 20lbs??  Even if you are a little as 20lbs overweight- that's like wearing a tire around your mid section. But what does it really look like??


Imagine carrying twice that, three times that, even 10 times that... Are you really dieting correctly?? Your diet may be full of fatty foods, tons of sugar, and caffeine. Isn't it time to change that? I KNOW that no one wants to die young.

So instead of thinking of skinny, bikini-clad women, when you you hear the word DIET, you should be thinking about what is IN your daily DIET, and CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS TO A HEALTHY DIET!  Easier said than done, I know. I am still struggling with that myself. So I hope that in my struggles I can stumble upon some great tips to help myself, and help you as well!

So as a conclusion to this post I want to have you make the same pledge that I did:



No comments:

Post a Comment